Why classical myth and autism?

Why classical myth and autism?

The idea for this project started to take shape at a meeting in 2008 with a special needs teacher, who mentioned that, in her experience and those of her colleagues, autistic children often enjoy classical myth. I began to wonder why this might be the case, and whether – as a classicist who researches, and loves, classical myth – there was anything I could contribute. I started this blog to report on my progress which was often sporadic until the launch of the Warsaw-based European Research Council-funded project Our Mythical Childhood (2016-22) to trace the role of classics in children’s culture.

My key contribution to the project is an exploration of classics in autistic children’s culture, above all by producing myth-themed activities for autistic children. This blog shares my progress, often along Herculean paths, including to a book of lessons for autistic children focusing on the Choice of Hercules between two very different paths in life. The image above, illustrating the homepage of this blog, is one of the drawings by Steve K. Simons, the book's illustrator, of a chimneypiece panel in a neoclassical villa at Roehampton in South West London. The lessons centre on this panel.

Friday 20 December 2019

Love the Max: thank you!

This current posting is a very short one - possibly the shortest I've ever written. I've just discovered the existence of Love the Max: A blog about kids with disabilities who kick butt. I had been checking the ‘top referrers’ for my previous posting – the one I wrote not long before I headed to Warsaw for a Ciceronian excursion. One of these referrers is Love the Max's weekend link-up for 13 December 2019. I’d like to thank the kind person - whoever you are! -  who put up this posting alongside some snapshots of the huge amount of current blogging relating to disabled children.

I'll blog again soon - including in relation to the trip to Warsaw...

 

2 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Hi, Susan.

[puts hand up].

It was me.

I did put one more of your blogs in the 6 December 2019 edition of LOVE THAT MAX/TO THE MAX [as it is called on FeedBurner by many in the field] - "The choice of Hercules" - the week before. And the Blue Story did not work so well as I copied that twice.

When I put my material in LOVE THAT MAX I do usually get 18-20 hits I might not otherwise.

Have known of Seidman's work for ten years and a few weeks as of December 2019 [probably I first read it in July of 2009 as a mate from About.com had it there].

Also there is a guy called Joe Reddington who made CommuniKate. He did some up-to-the-minute statistics about this niche.

I try to put in British/EU/Commonwealth of Nations blogs when I can and when I have the wherewithal.

Will try to find you some classical link-ups and there are some literary ones too in InLinkz.

Perhaps your other readers can do this too.

Susan Deacy said...

Thank you so much!!!