Why classical myth and autism?

Why classical myth and autism?

The idea for this project started to take shape at a meeting in 2008 with a special needs teacher, who mentioned that, in her experience and those of her colleagues, autistic children often enjoy classical myth. I began to wonder why this might be the case, and whether – as a classicist who researches, and loves, classical myth – there was anything I could contribute. I started this blog to report on my progress which was often sporadic until the launch of the Warsaw-based European Research Council-funded project Our Mythical Childhood (2016-22) to trace the role of classics in children’s culture.

My key contribution to the project is an exploration of classics in autistic children’s culture, above all by producing myth-themed activities for autistic children. This blog shares my progress, often along Herculean paths, including to a book of lessons for autistic children focusing on the Choice of Hercules between two very different paths in life. The image above, illustrating the homepage of this blog, is one of the drawings by Steve K. Simons, the book's illustrator, of a chimneypiece panel in a neoclassical villa at Roehampton in South West London. The lessons centre on this panel.

Friday 26 May 2017

Back from a quest for Mythical Hope

I'm recently back from an extremely stimulating time in quest of Our Mythical Hope in Warsaw. I've come back full of ideas for my autism and classical myth resources.  I'll share the paper I delivered there soon - once I've written up the annotations I made to the draft I took along with me. The photo below shows me with my fellow Roehampton questers Sonya Nevin and Steve Simons. 


And here I am, snapped talking with Eduardo Pecchini, in the aftermath of our panel exploring Hercules, disability and mental health - appropriately enough in the presence of Hercules. In one of the many coincidences I've encountered in relation to this project, we each started working, totally independently, on Hercules from the perspective of disability at the same time. I'll say more about this presently.

No comments: